This DIY saltwater mouthwash rinse has become a part of my oral care. I don’t know if it’s part of getting older or the combination of having some horrible dental visits when my gut health was a mess, but either way, I’m starting to really enjoy taking care of my teeth. Okay not every day, but more often than not. Little by little I’m honing into a better oral care routine and a saltwater mouthwash has become a part of it.
Benefits of A Saltwater Mouthwash Rinse
A saltwater rinse reduces bad bacteria in our mouth, improves gum health, helps with bad breath, helps with teeth sensitivity, and overall improves our oral health. It’s a big bonus that it’s so simple and inexpensive to make too!
DIY Saltwater Mouthwash Rinse
- 2 tsp Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups filtered water, heated up – I use my tea kettle and stop it just short of boiling
- optional, 2 drops of high quality essential oil like peppermint, frankincense, or this blend
Using a glass decanter or carafe set, pour in your hot water, add in the salt, and then a drop or two of essential oil if using. The salt will settle a little on the bottom, but the initial hot water ensures that it keeps a salty mixture throughout.
My current oral care routine steps:
- Rinse and swish with the saltwater.
- Scrape my tongue with a tongue scraper.
- Brush my teeth with an electric toothbrush.
- Sometimes I’ll scrape my tongue again after brushing my teeth, depending on what toothpaste I use. I don’t scrape after using the Living Libations toothpastes since I love the feel/taste in my mouth.
- Sometimes I’ll add a drop of Happy Gum Drops to my toothbrush and go over once more for fresher breath.
Natural and Effective Oral Products I Use + Rotate:
- Tongue Scraper
- Electric Toothbrush
- Toothpastes- Risewell (contains Hydroxyapatite with helps remineralize and protect teeth – it’s also more affordable than the later which is why I have been buying it more often), Frankincense Fresh Toothpaste (odd taste to get used to (tastes soapish), but I’ve learned to love it as my teeth feel noticeably cleaner after), Wintergreen Charcoal Toothpaste (helps whiten teeth, tastes extra fresh & of course makes the teeth feel extra clean, but forewarning, it makes your sink black/messy)
- Happy Gum Drops – use one drop as a breath freshener, use on your toothbrush, or put a drop on your finger and slide floss through it and then floss – a great one for the purse too
- Ozonated Happy Gum Drops – I actually don’t use this anymore, but my husband likes to use it on his gums, so I want to mention it here as well. Literally every oral care product from Living Libations seems like a miracle worker though. It’s so dang pricey for oral care which is why I rotate other products, but they really are worth every penny which is why I reorder them. I also got really good at using small amounts of product on my toothbrush. It’s really all we need!
- Floss – Dr. Tung’s Floss, Living Libations Floss, Dessert Essence Floss, Risewell Floss
Decanters/Carafes For Your Mouthwash On Amazon – Click on the picture and it will take you to it:
My mouth/gums/teeth are healthier than ever these past few years. I also pass on the fluoride at the dentist; it’s not something I want in my body. For more information on holistic dental care, check out Nadine Artemis’ book “Holistic Dental Care The Complete Guide To Healthy Teeth and Gums.”
Pin DIY Saltwater Mouthwash Rinse For Later:
Thanks for joining me here! I hope you stick around for more. Find me on the daily @herhealthystyle on Instagram Xx Riane
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. I am only featuring items I love. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you so much for your support! See my full disclosure.