Fragrance is so harmful to our health. Fragrance in perfume, skincare, and candles is like “natural flavors” in our food. None of it is pure and natural. Unfortunately, there is a long list of allowed ingredients behind those terms. That does not mean we need to give everything up though! We can absolutely find great swaps for all of our go-to’s. Today I’m sharing some clean non-toxic candle recommendations with you.
I’m also going to touch base on the effects of fragrance on our health as it’s so important to know the why behind everything we do. How do we expect to change if we don’t know why something is harmful to us.
With the word fragrance, I’m not talking pure essential oils or products with pure essential oils in them, but rather everything else.
What To Look For When Choosing A Clean Non-Toxic Candle
When looking for candles, look for beeswax and/or coconut wax candles. Pass on the soy candles, natural “blends” (this generally means that there is paraffin wax hidden within), and “natural scents”. If it’s made with quality pure essential oils, that company is not going to write something like “natural scents” or similar on their packaging. Natural essential oils yes, but not fragrance or scents. They will make it known that their product is made with pure natural essential oils.
In the end, wording can be tricky, but if it’s not clear on how it’s made, pass on it. Look at the ingredients as you do with your food. … or just have me do the reading, and scroll to shop my picks. 😊
How Are Conventional Scented Candles and Air Fresheners Harmful To Our Health?
- Hurts The Lungs
- Reduces Liver Function
- Weakens Immune Cells
- Feeds Pathogens That Cause Chronic Illness
- Causes Flare-Ups Of Symptoms & Conditions
- Heavy Exposure Lowers The Immune System for 3-4 Days
- More Harmful To Your Health Than Smoking – yes, you read that right – and yes, smoking is still terrible for our health, so don’t start smoking – my husband smokes a handful of cigars a year and you know I get real thrilled about it 😝
The bulleted points are all from MedicalMedium.com.
I was a candle junkie for years and was always burning candles. I then had a fire in my home, resulting from a candle, and I backed off of using them as much…but I still used them.
Now that I have learned how toxic most candles are, and am super sensitive to both the carcinogenic soot they give off and their toxic fragrance, I of course stopped using what I had been. Instead, I now use battery operated candles along with beeswax or coconut wax candles.
I will also dip the wick in the pool of wax to distinguish the flame or blow it out outside, in another room, or just open up our balcony doors when I blow it out.
Do Your Best
We will always be exposed to fragrance even if we completely cut it out ourselves. It’s everywhere. It’s in toxic cleaning solutions, in family/friends homes, on other bodies (if they wear conventional perfumes, lotions, hairsprays, etc). Just do the best you can. Ex) I lift up and breathe into my shirt when I get into my elevator after it was just “cleaned”, I sit away from harmful candles when I can, I leave an area of a store if heavy perfume is lingering, I move over from any friend or family member wearing perfume. ..Discreetly.
If you need to, remove a candle from a room or blow it out when no one is watching. HA. You can also help a friend/family member out by buying them a non-toxic candle. This helps them transition too! Keep in mind that they probably have zero clue how harmful fragrance is, so always be kind about it. Also, some people just don’t want to change their ways.
We Don’t Know What We Don’t Know
And, last but not least, do not feel bad if you have harmful fragrances in your home right now. We don’t know if we don’t know! Just walk over to those air fresheners, toxic candles, and toss them in the garbage along with the Febreze and anything else that’s similar. Your health is worth it.
I hope you feel a bit liberated in taking action. ❤
Shop Better Clean Candle Options
Meaningful Mantras Candles
- Made with 100% pure coconut wax and pure essential oils. Small woman owned company. They have so many familiar scents we all love. Shop Meaningful Mantras.
Pure Plant Home
- Made with 100% coconut wax and pure essential oils. Woman owned company. I personally love the Bergamot and Lime. Use code herhealthystyle for a discount. Shop Pure Plant Home.
Fontana Candle Co.
- Made with both coconut oil and beeswax, pure essential oils, and a wood wick. Shop Fontana Candle Co.
- 100% Beeswax Candles with organic essential oils. The Happy Holiday candle is a mix of balsam, citrus, and cinnamon. All of Living Libations products are made so beautifully. Shop Living Libations.
Bluecorn 100% Pure Beeswax Tealights
- I love the faintest smell of honey with these tealights. I light these the most often. Shop them.
Bluecorn 100% Beeswax Tapers
- My other beeswax go-to’s. I don’t light them as much as it would get pricey, but I do love them. They have them in the natural raw honey color, in ivory, and more. Shop them.
Patria LED Ivory Taper Set
- My mom uses these all of the time so I finally bought a set for myself. Her set was pricier at a boutique, but it also came with a remote…. They may seem expensive, but you can use them over and over again. Shop Them.
Electric Rechargeable Candle Lighter
- To light your real candles. Shop It.
Pin + Share The Love With Others: Clean Non-Toxic Candles | Effects Of Fragrance On Our Health
Natural Deodorants For Women + Men That Work: Clean, Nontoxic, Aluminum-Free
Thank you so much for being here with me! Sending some love your way today, Xx Riane
Find me on the daily @herhealthystyle on Instagram
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. I am only featuring items I love. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you so much for your support! See my full disclosure.
Leave a Reply